Three Dead as Suspected Herdsmen Attack Benue Communities
At least three people have been confirmed dead and four others injured following an attack on communities in Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State on Sunday.
The attack occurred around 7am at Aboajo Village in the Mbateren Mbazum Council Ward, according to the Benue State Police Command.
Police spokesperson, DSP Peter Aondongu, said the victims sustained machete injuries and were taken to a medical facility for treatment, while additional tactical and patrol teams had been deployed to the area to pursue the attackers.
The police said security operations were ongoing to identify and arrest those responsible for the attack.
However, residents and local sources in the affected communities claimed that the casualty figure was significantly higher, alleging that about 10 people were killed in what they described as coordinated attacks across several settlements.
The affected areas reportedly include Tse Yawe, Ikpuu, Ter Ukum Orkaa Kaave and Tse Kyaave, among other communities in Mbazun Mbaterem, with hundreds of residents said to have fled their homes for neighbouring areas.
A local farmer identified as Mbaane alleged that more than 300 armed men entered the area from the Wukari axis of neighbouring Taraba State and moved through different communities, shooting at residents.
He claimed that the intervention of soldiers and police officers helped repel the attackers and prevented further loss of lives.
Reacting to the incident, Benue State Governor, Hyacinth Alia, commended the security agencies for responding to the attack and assured residents of his administration’s continued support for efforts to protect lives and property.
In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Tersoo Kula, the governor described the attackers as suspected terrorists allegedly operating under the guise of herdsmen and said they had invaded communities in Mbazun Ward.
Alia expressed condolences to families who lost loved ones and sympathised with those injured in the attack.
The governor also warned that attempts to force residents from their ancestral communities through violence would not succeed, while reaffirming his commitment to protecting Benue communities.
He urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious movements to security agencies, stressing that timely information could help prevent further attacks.
Alia further directed security agencies to sustain their presence in vulnerable areas and intensify operations to apprehend those responsible.
While the police have officially confirmed three deaths and four injuries, authorities are yet to verify the higher casualty figures claimed by residents and local sources.





