Shocked and Gutted’ — Maguire Confirms World Cup Heartbreak
Harry Maguire has confirmed he will not be part of England’s squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, expressing shock and disappointment at a decision that brings a likely end to his international career at one of football’s biggest stages.
The Manchester United centre-back broke the news himself in a post on his Instagram account on Thursday, ahead of manager Thomas Tuchel’s official squad announcement scheduled for Friday. In the post, Maguire said he had been informed personally by Tuchel that he would not be included in the 26-man group travelling to the tournament in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. “I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had,” he wrote. “I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision. I’ve loved nothing more than putting that shirt on and representing my country over the years. I wish the players all the best this summer.”
The omission is a significant blow for the 33-year-old, who had seemed to rebuild his chances of a place in the squad after being handed a recall by Tuchel for England’s March friendlies. Maguire started the 1-1 draw with Uruguay and came on as a substitute in the 1-0 defeat to Japan, his most recent cap. Prior to those two appearances, he had been frozen out of the national team since September 2024. Reports indicate that Tuchel has instead placed his trust in Ezri Konsa and Marc Guehi as his first-choice centre-back pairing, with Chelsea’s Levi Colwill providing additional cover. The England manager is said to value versatility and long-term dynamism in his defensive setup, factors that ultimately worked against Maguire’s selection.
The decision draws the curtain on what has been a decorated, if turbulent, international career spanning 66 caps and seven goals. Maguire was a central figure during England’s run to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup in Russia and featured prominently in the Euro 2020 final against Italy, a game England lost on penalties. He also appeared in all five of England’s matches at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Injury denied him a place at Euro 2024, and his exclusion this time around despite being fit and in form has been received with surprise by many supporters and pundits who expected his experience to be called upon.
Maguire’s club form this season had given him reasonable grounds for optimism. He established himself as a starter in Manchester United’s defence and played a key role in the club’s strong finish to the Premier League campaign, which secured them a return to the UEFA Champions League. That, combined with his recall in March, had led many to believe he would make the cut. Instead, Tuchel has opted for youth and tactical flexibility, leaving one of England’s most experienced defenders to watch the tournament from afar.




