Article News

Osimhen Claims Napoli Treatment Prompted Exit After TikTok Controversy

By Rachel Akper

Victor Osimhen has said his relationship with Italian club Napoli deteriorated following a social media incident he described as humiliating, ultimately leading to his departure.

Speaking in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, the Nigerian striker alleged that Napoli’s official TikTok account posted videos mocking him after he missed a penalty during a league match in the 2023–24 season. The clips were later deleted, but the controversy sparked widespread reactions among fans and media.

Osimhen said the incident marked the beginning of strained relations with the club, adding that he felt disrespected by how the situation was handled. He also claimed he became the target of racist insults online following the episode.

The forward stated that although he tried to maintain professionalism, there had been an understanding that he would be allowed to leave the club the following summer an agreement he believes was not fully honoured.

According to him, he resisted pressure regarding potential transfer destinations because he wanted greater control over his career decisions.

Now playing for Galatasaray and continuing his international career with the Super Eagles, Osimhen said he still respects Napoli supporters but regrets that no public apology was issued over the incident.

The striker dismissed rumours suggesting unprofessional conduct on his part, insisting such claims were unfounded.

His remarks have reignited discussion in football circles about player treatment, social media conduct by clubs, and the impact of public controversies on professional relationships in sport.

Rachel Akper

Rachel Akper

About Author

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may also like

Foreign News News

Police Arrest Murder Suspect In Lagos, Recover Exhibits

  • February 10, 2025
Police Arrest Murder Suspect In Lagos, Recover Exhibits The spokesman of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) Muyiwa Adejobi said Okeke
Foreign News News

Falana Sues Meta, Seeks $5m For Invasion Of Privacy

  • February 10, 2025
Falana, through his lawyer, Olumide Babalola, accused Meta of publishing motion images and voice captioned, “AfriCare Health Center,” on their