Stay Tuned!

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

News Social

Olubadan Halts Planned Demolition of 186 Houses in Ibadan

The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Rashidi Ladoja, has halted the planned demolition of about 186 houses at Isokan Estate Extension in the Alao-Akala, Elebu area of Ibadan, located in Ido Local Government Area of Oyo State.

The intervention followed complaints by residents who stormed the monarch’s residence in Ibadan on Sunday, alleging that roofs of several houses were removed between Thursday and Friday ahead of an intended demolition linked to a court judgment.

The residents said the judgment, delivered by an Ibadan High Court, reportedly favoured Mogaji Olopade Taofeek Abiola, popularly known as Mogaji Oloyin, over ownership of the disputed land.

During a follow-up meeting with stakeholders at his Bodija residence on Tuesday, the Olubadan directed affected landlords to repair damaged rooftops while efforts continue to resolve the dispute.

He also warned land grabbers against encroaching on the land, insisting that the area must not be subjected to illegal acquisition.

To determine the actual boundaries of the disputed property, stakeholders agreed that independent surveyors would conduct fresh ground markings under the supervision of the Oyo State Ministry of Lands, Housing, Survey and Urban Development.

According to the monarch, the exercise would help identify the legitimate landowners and determine the next course of action.

The Olubadan also commended the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Olugbemiga Abimbola, for deploying officers to prevent further escalation in the community.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by the monarch’s media aide, Adeola Oloko, the residents had appealed for urgent intervention, claiming that some fences had already been demolished in addition to damaged rooftops.

The statement added that neighbouring communities, including Alausa, Aromokun and Oluyedun, were also under threat despite not being covered by the court judgment, raising fears that more than 400 houses could eventually be affected.

Mogaji Oloyin reportedly maintained that the 31-acre land belonged to his family, adding that he possessed both a valid court judgment and survey plan to support his claim.

The Olubadan had previously inaugurated a five-member committee in October 2025 to tackle land grabbing and related offences in Ibadan. Members of the committee include Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Niyi Akintola and Musibau Adetunmbi.

The committee later submitted recommendations advocating legal measures, including bye-laws and special tribunals, to ensure speedy handling of land-grabbing cases in the city.

Mercy Omotosho

About Author

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may also like

Foreign News News

Police Arrest Murder Suspect In Lagos, Recover Exhibits

  • February 10, 2025
Police Arrest Murder Suspect In Lagos, Recover Exhibits The spokesman of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) Muyiwa Adejobi said Okeke
Foreign News News

Falana Sues Meta, Seeks $5m For Invasion Of Privacy

  • February 10, 2025
Falana, through his lawyer, Olumide Babalola, accused Meta of publishing motion images and voice captioned, “AfriCare Health Center,” on their