Ebonyi Government Rescues Five Homeless Boys, Begins Search for Families
The Ebonyi State Government has taken five homeless boys off the streets and placed them under state protection, as authorities intensify efforts to trace their families.
The Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Felicia Nwamkpuma, announced the development during a media briefing on Saturday in Abakaliki. She said the children are now in government custody while steps are underway to identify and reunite them with their parents or guardians.
Police operatives picked up the boys from different parts of the state before transferring them to the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development for profiling and further action. The briefing was held at the Ebonyi State Juvenile Remand Home in Ugwuachara, Abakaliki, where the children are currently being accommodated.
Represented by the Head of the Child Development Department, Emmanuel Nkwuda, the commissioner disclosed that the boys, aged between three and 14 years, had been roaming the streets before their rescue. She noted that while some of them have been at the remand home for up to four years, others have spent periods ranging from two months to one year.
She appealed to parents or guardians searching for missing children to visit the ministry with verifiable proof of identity to facilitate proper documentation and possible reunification.
The commissioner stressed that the remand home is not structured to serve as a permanent shelter for children who are not in conflict with the law.
“Ordinarily, they are not expected to remain here beyond one or two months. Prolonged stay could pose security concerns, especially as the facility also houses underage suspects,” she said.
She warned that if no relatives come forward within a reasonable timeframe, the ministry may commence fostering or adoption procedures in line with Section 4 of the Ebonyi State Child Rights Law, which prioritises the welfare and best interest of the child.
“Their best interest at this stage of life is to grow up in a proper home where they can enjoy parental care, education, dignity, and a sense of identity.
“Every child has a right to a name and protection. We cannot allow them to grow up without meaningful engagement,” she added.
Mrs Nwamkpuma urged parents to consider their financial capacity and available time before expanding their families, emphasizing responsible parenting. She also called for increased vigilance in view of growing cases of child abduction.
Citing a recent case in the Nkwagu area of the state, she said unidentified women allegedly tricked mothers and disappeared with three children. She advised parents to be cautious of strangers offering assistance or attempting to run errands with their children.
The commissioner reaffirmed the ministry’s commitment to safeguarding children’s rights and called on members of the public to support ongoing efforts to reconnect the rescued boys with their families.
Similar interventions have occurred in the past. In February 2024, a 13-year-old boy, Goodluck Onwe, was removed from the streets of Abakaliki and placed under government care after he was found wandering without supervision.





